Summer is ending and I can smell the fall approaching, the nights are cooler, the air is crisper and, of course, the days are getting little by little shorter.
As many of you might know, I am originally from Caracas, Venezuela. I was used to live in a tropical weather all year around. Moving to Minnesota has given me a lot of challenges and I think one of the biggest is the weather. Yes, 6 months of winter…
The first years, the weather didn’t affect me with that thing commonly called WINTER BLUES or S.A.D (Seasonal affected disorder). Lately, I started having those mood swings and a horrible sensation that I don’t even want to wake up from bed when winter comes. Lack of solar light and vitamin D might affect your mood and for sure my mood but not anymore…
The good news is that there are a lot of things you can do to have a happier and more enjoyable winter.
Here are a few tips that have worked for me 🙂
- Start taking Vitamin D and double the dose when fall starts: For me living in Minnesota is about NOW (SEPTEMBER)!!! I normally take one table of Caltrate D a day in the summer months and now is when I start double the intake with an extra one at night.
- Suck those sunny days left as much as you can: Sit outside, read a book under the sun, feel the nature and receive as much Vitamin D from the natural source.. (Please wear SPF. We need the Vitamin D, not the Ultra Violet Rays that later can develop skin cancer..)
- Try to spend time outdoors in the winter months: Go ice skating, cross country, go for a walk, skiing… To be honest, this is the one thing that I do less because I hate the cold, but when I do it and most likely during those sunny days is when I feel the happiest and more energized in the winter!
- THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE.. Buy a Happy light!!! Yes yes, this acquisition has saved me last winter and made me a happier person. You can find a lot of models of on amazon. The one I bought it is a portable one that fits into my purse… This is the model HAPPY PORTABLE LIGHT . If I don’t have time to sit under the light in the morning, where ever I go for sure I will bring my light and sit for at least 10 minutes and recharge myself.
- Exercise at regular basis to keep yourself motivated
- Eat healthy
It is now when you should start making this little changes to be sure to have an easier and happier winter..
Thanks for reading and I hope this one helps 🙂